October 24, 2009

Not the best of weeks healthwise, but I look on the bright side considering people are popping it at 42! That too health and fitness freaks like Ranjan Das. I reckon it was his theory that 4 hours of sleep was enough to keep Ranjan healthy, wealthy and fine that killed him. I'd have told him he's a damn fool; that it wasn't worth losing his sleep for a company whose profits he helped grow three, four, five times! But would he have listened?

***

Dee is in town with the little guy who is growing up sweetly. A bit too attached to his mother which is never a nice thing - boy's gotta be a man not a sissy. If he was slightly bigger I'd have taken him on a bike ride across to the hills that his mother loved so much. And taught him a few chords on the guitar.

I feel people get it all wrong with their kids these days. I see them spending thousands on DVD's, toys and books - everything they believe a kid must have; part of a good education and all that, but really there is no substitute for spending time with your child. I still remember my grandfather taking us fishing down by the river at our island village in Goa and telling us things - things that probably didn't mean a whole lot to us back then or even make much sense, but which I remember more vividly today than any book I read or movie I watched. Because he took the time - to talk to us and show us stuff. I want to do that for my kids, not spend a thousand bucks on some stupid book or sit them in front of a television set or computer thinking they're getting all they need to know about the world, and life.

***

Caralisa Monteiro with a song from Rock On. For A. Who seems a little down today.

13 comments:

Cynic in Wonderland said...

There is a fine line between spending time and hovering around the kid all the time ( the so called helicopter parents). but seriously the kind of money people spend on kids - I went to a mall the other day, and frickin branded exorbitantly priced stuff for toddlers who become the fashion accessories for the ma and pa.

Deepika said...

I agree with CiW. There's no dearth of parents who are OVER OBSESSED with their kids and have NO IDEA about spending quality time with them. I can't wait to get there and do it right myself. :-)

Anonymous said...

my fav song.

bips

Much ado about nothing.... said...

It was true even back then. All my school friends (at age 8) had volumes and volumes of encyclopedia, which they could neither spell nor bothered to read. Then they had the cable TV, coz u know BBC teaches you so much and yes of course the mother of all things informative... the computer by the time we were teens.

My parents never agreed with those norms... and am i glad!


Perhaps its their buy out frem the guilt of not giving kids enough time.. then again it could just be the case of "kid=status symbol measure" thing.. who knows how these people think!

Much ado about nothing.... said...

I never thought i would regret deleting the facebook account!
(Wait i think ill just pretend to be cool!) ;)

But then you can always drop me a line at cwe.maan@gmail.com

rupagulab said...

The poor SAP. I honestly think the union minister for health should send directives to offices etc, sternly instructing employers that employees MUST NOT work beyond 8 hours a day and must not be stressed. A help line numbermust be given to employees to whine and complain bitterly if the boss is a cruel taskmaster. I live in hope that this will be implemented BEFORE work stress kills me!

Seema Smile said...

A mom know best. Most people turn out alright irrespective of whether they were pampered or not. The minority that doesn't either commits murder or visits a shrink... or both. We need all sorts to make an interesting society.

Anonymous said...

Hey, SWB, hope you remember me.
Had to come out of my self-imposed exile and comment on this. Overparenting -- that's what people are doing these days. Get my goat, it does! Imagine not giving your child Parle G biscuits coz the sugar makes 'em hyper.

Love, Subs

Anonymous said...

Totally with you on the current trend of uninvolved parenting. Don't understand it.

Btw, like the song too.

~N.

d4u said...

Good to see you still blogging!!!

SwB said...

@Subs: Yes of course I remember you. How is that other girl, your friend ... Joyee was it?

Unknown said...

No clue, Blues. She disappeared after I shutdown the blog. But the Bun gives me regular updates about you :)

Subs

Hornswoggler said...

Have a big smile on my face zimply because you've put this song. And agree totally with what you have said about overparenting. Makes me want to write a post and rant about it. Who knows, perhaps I'll find I'm guilty of it too :)