May 17, 2009

I'd say one of the most annoying things for a guy is to be in the company of a woman who spends more time talking/texting/whatever-the-bludy-hell-they-do on her mobile phone than she does focused on him. I mean isn't there something called mobile-phone etiquette? No major catastrophe is going to befall whoever is on the other end of the line if you don't talk to them right this minute. But no, they will go on and on and on. Makes my blood boil.

I've had huge arguments with JC over this. To the extent that I've stopped taking her out. Because just as we're settling into a nice conversation some stupid friend or colleague of hers will call and in her words it's "not polite" to cut someone off. Not polite?? What about the person sitting in front of you? How about being polite to them for starters.

It's different with us guys. We don't do that. We're POLITE. If I'm with someone - girl or guy - and a friend/colleague/moron-I-don't-want-to-talk-to calls me I quickly say four things: What's up? Can it wait? If it can I'll call you later. If it can't it better be a matter of life and death. Baat khattam.

But what is it with women and mobile phones? It's like they'll die without them or something. Where I work I reckon anywhere between 10-15% of good productive office time is lost because of useless mobile phone chatter. Doesn't happen abroad I can tell you, though I can only talk about Switzerland because I spent a couple of months there in '07. People there hardly ever talk on their mobile phones at work ... in fact you wouldn't even know they were carrying their phones on them. But here at any given time depending on what kind of job you do (not applicable if you break stones for a living, but these days who knows) you will see a least 4-5 people, women mostly, yapping away like that's what they're being paid to do. It's totally ridiculous, I don't know how companies stand for it! Why don't they just ban mobile phones at work? Hell, we might even see the recession ending sooner. Think about it.

***

Sonia Gandhi sounded like such a mafiosi in her brief statement to the press yesterday where she said: "The people of this country know what is good for them". Nothing wrong with that statement per se, just the way she said it made me laugh.

But to those who feel that all we've done is help propagate the Congress's so called dynasty politics, I will say this: Look at the larger picture. I am not a fan of dynasty politics myself, but in a country like ours where power hungry cut-throats will do anything to get ahead, having people like the Gandhis around actually helps to keep things in check, whether you want to admit it or not. And so far it hasn't come in the way of a good man like Manmohan Singh. At least not that we can tell.

***

Will there be a 1,000 point rally on the markets tomorrow? I don't think so. But with the markets, as in politics, one never knows.

And why hasn't Advaniji been a man and conceded defeat publicly yet? Or does he think it's all a bad dream and he'll wake up tomorrow morning to find that the NDA has won it? You never know with someone who just 5 years ago proclaimed India was Shining.

Bob Marley - Stir it up. Funny thing about this song - for years we thought it was Stereo :)


9 comments:

michelle said...

I had to comment on the phone thing because last week I was waiting for a train at the terminal and the garbage cleaner guy was talking on a ear piece while he did his job ... so maybe that's why its not noticeable? - because they're all on their bluetooth/jabra gizmo's?

Kavi said...

Ofcourse..Sonia will say that the people of the country always had good choice !

Rajiv was from here, right ?!

:)

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you about the mobile phone thingy. It gets to my nerves, especially at lunch tables, where you can't have a half-decent conversation going coz one person would be continuously on the phone. And I would'nt say its restricted to women. At times I have had to urge to snatch those phones and throw them away. The worse is when these folks decide to be a bit "polite" during meetings and decide to type in messages. That squeaky tap-tap sound could actually cause temporary insanity.

Btw... congrats about completing 6 years. :D

Syl said...

I have to say this mobile phone thing is not restricted to women and it drives me nuts too... sometimes totally beserk when in the middle of a conversation the thing rings again and again and the person will take it again and again... i have even been pushed to the extent of actually asking 'can't you switch it off for a few mins?" ... i personally find it extremely impolite to be talking to someone on the phone when you are with someone.. and yes, when I am in a similar situation, i usually just say I'll call back!

Anonymous said...

oh.. i actually forgot to mention the best incident so far with a mobile phone. i was at this conference and a really old pompous govt. official was beginning his speech. Someone calls him on his mobile.. which he did not even put on silent before going up on stage. he rejects the calls two three times, but still does not turn the thing off. finally he takes the call (standing in front of the mike) and tells the caller... "arey i am at a conference and giving a speech. you call me back later".

Timeless Memories - My Bygone ! said...

:) sorry bt not so sorry to accept. that we women do hav sme bad habits like that..
even i had that habit in my college days, until one of my close frnd thrown it (actualy he thrown it in dust bin)..

Abt politics, dnt knw really wts comin ahead, bt gr8 to hav a steady govt, i can already see the effects in stock market.....
:)things can happn good at times...

B o o said...

Tell me about it. As soon as the plane lands in India, out comes the mobile phones and the assault does nt stop until Im back at the airport again! This one time, we gave a lift to a friend in our car to Zurich. For 3 fricking hours, the man was on his mobile talking loudly to friends back to back while my husband was driving and I was on the back seat with my kid! Grrr...

rupagulab said...

Ha ha - you're bang on, Sonia Gandhi's statement did have very strong mafiosi undertones. Thanks to your astute remark, I now have this picture of her in my head: carrying a violin case (for the sawn off gun)!
As for the phone thing, it REALLY annoys me too - and it's not restricted to wimmen.

Punvati said...

Pfftt.. Generalisation!! Chauvanism! Please, it's not something restricted only to women... It's totally annoying when people do that.. but saying men never do that.. yeesh! :P