So - it's the jayanti of the Gandhi and the birdie of the Bun. But I'm pretty sure that henceforward this day will be remembered more for how it changed forever the lives of smokers in this country. Because with one stroke of the pen (or whatever else he did stroke) a gentleman named Ramadoss has literally made life for them hell.
Hurried conferences will be convened by people in offices and elsewhere to find a way out. I was witness to one such conference today. No smoking ANYWHERE on the premises is what the email from the company said. What if I prop myself against a wall or fence in a way that the cigarette and the accompanying smoke does not actually trespass inside, is what one guy came up with. Another suggested that easier would be to just climb the damn thing and sit on it with both legs dangling outside and cigarette facing away from the premises. Conferences like these won't end anytime soon I imagine.
But many say it might even be a good thing. Because as things now stand the only two places you can light up are out on the street and in your house. And considering how so many men cannot smoke at home either because their wives won't let them or simply because the buggers have been lying to their old ladies about having quit all those months ago, many say it could be the perfect opportunity to make a serious attempt to kick the butt. Whether they succeed only time will tell.
History has shown us though that whenever something is prohibited there springs an opportunity to make money. They're saying pubs, bars and discos will be the ones hardest hit. People will actually have to step outside to take a drag and then go back in. Which, depending on how much they smoke, will mean at least two, three or even more trips to the pavement. Not very nice. And if you're with a lady on a hot date some non-smoker bugger might even seize the chance and chat her up while you're taking a drag. Nope, no can do. So what be the solution? Our man Ally came up with something that I thought was quite brilliant. And could make whoever manages to pull it off a decent pile of money.
But I can tell you what won't work - the Call Centers. Yep, without their Customer Service Associates burning at least 8 cigarettes a day output will drop drastically. I'm pretty sure many companies will cheat even. Secret smoking areas ... where the smoke will be ingeniously smuggled out along with the fumes from the cafeteria.
To a non-smoker like me though it makes no difference. But I kinda feel bad for all my buddies who enjoy their cancer-sticks.
***
Anyone seen that Sajjanpur movie? Masand has given it four stars and says such movies are few and far between. Haven't seen him that excited about a film since Love Story 2050 flopped. And the things he's said gives me the feeling we won't be seeing anything this good till we do bludy get to 2050! (Now that less people will be dying of smoking related illnesses, 2050 is quite reachable.)
I was thinking of taking JC to see it this weekend. As a thank you for the cake.
***
So here's to you Bun! And for you this song: Dylan and Cash - Girl from the North Country, released 1969. Was a good year 1969.
Hurried conferences will be convened by people in offices and elsewhere to find a way out. I was witness to one such conference today. No smoking ANYWHERE on the premises is what the email from the company said. What if I prop myself against a wall or fence in a way that the cigarette and the accompanying smoke does not actually trespass inside, is what one guy came up with. Another suggested that easier would be to just climb the damn thing and sit on it with both legs dangling outside and cigarette facing away from the premises. Conferences like these won't end anytime soon I imagine.
But many say it might even be a good thing. Because as things now stand the only two places you can light up are out on the street and in your house. And considering how so many men cannot smoke at home either because their wives won't let them or simply because the buggers have been lying to their old ladies about having quit all those months ago, many say it could be the perfect opportunity to make a serious attempt to kick the butt. Whether they succeed only time will tell.
History has shown us though that whenever something is prohibited there springs an opportunity to make money. They're saying pubs, bars and discos will be the ones hardest hit. People will actually have to step outside to take a drag and then go back in. Which, depending on how much they smoke, will mean at least two, three or even more trips to the pavement. Not very nice. And if you're with a lady on a hot date some non-smoker bugger might even seize the chance and chat her up while you're taking a drag. Nope, no can do. So what be the solution? Our man Ally came up with something that I thought was quite brilliant. And could make whoever manages to pull it off a decent pile of money.
Dude- Mobile Pubs! You can smoke in your car, right? So if you buy a caravan like what those American buggers drive (he had seen a photo of one I had taken on the Interstate in the US), the problem is solved. Put three or four lounge type sofas and let people smoke and drink and do whatever they want inside; design it to look just like a pub with music and everything. I'm telling you dude - mast chalega. Cops-bips aaya toh just start the engine and drive away ... say it's your bleddy mobile home and you're throwing a party for your friends. Nobody can do anything!Now he ain't exactly the smartest bloke around, but I think he may just have found a loophole. You think mobile pubs will work? Imagine if you parked one right outside Toto's :)
But I can tell you what won't work - the Call Centers. Yep, without their Customer Service Associates burning at least 8 cigarettes a day output will drop drastically. I'm pretty sure many companies will cheat even. Secret smoking areas ... where the smoke will be ingeniously smuggled out along with the fumes from the cafeteria.
To a non-smoker like me though it makes no difference. But I kinda feel bad for all my buddies who enjoy their cancer-sticks.
***
Anyone seen that Sajjanpur movie? Masand has given it four stars and says such movies are few and far between. Haven't seen him that excited about a film since Love Story 2050 flopped. And the things he's said gives me the feeling we won't be seeing anything this good till we do bludy get to 2050! (Now that less people will be dying of smoking related illnesses, 2050 is quite reachable.)
I was thinking of taking JC to see it this weekend. As a thank you for the cake.
***
So here's to you Bun! And for you this song: Dylan and Cash - Girl from the North Country, released 1969. Was a good year 1969.
7 comments:
@masand : he gave 4 stars to "rock on" too. Sajjanpur is definitely nice change !! As I said in my post I missed those good ol' Amol Palekar movies !!
Fangs Bluesie, but I'm not skinny, bald, bespectacled and dead. Also, thanks to Ramadoss, not even non-violent anymore. I.e., I'm not Mahatma Gandhi so it isn't my birthday today. Mistook became.
Thanks anyway.
Bun
LOL .. you are so funny B! And I should make a note not to guess peoples birthdays again! :)
Bun's hippo birdie is on the 3rd. One day earlier, and she'd have been a mahatma!Thanks to bloody Ramadoss though, she's a terribly embittered ordinary Injun!
thanxxx :o)
We've had the no smoking in bars/pubs/clubs/restaurants for sometime now - it's great for us non smokers and most of the smokers don't seem to be complaining .. i remember at first how much my colleagues kicked up a hoo haaa but most places have a outdoor facility for smokers with heaters and seatings etc so it really hasn't effected anyone all that much. ... ah it's bliss for me, i get to go home with no smell of cigs in my hair!
Most of the call centres here have some kind of smoking hut for people to go to during their breaks - although if you smoke outside your buildings and throw your stubs on the floor - beware .. the fine is pretty hefty if you're caught :D
Heart attacks are less likely for non-smokers as compared to the smokers. According to WHO, individuals who quit smoking decrease their risk of CAD one year later by 50 %. If you have quit smoking, for 15 years, your risk of dying from CAD is almost as low as a life time non-smoker. http://www.chantixhome.com/
Post a Comment