June 18, 2006

When I was a kid my favourite pastime was playing with Lego. You could say Lego was to me then what Blues Over Troubled Waters is to me now. It took up a lot of my free time. In Bahrain in those days all the shops would have their sale in the months of May and October. I remember waiting with eager anticipation for these two months of the year only because the Lego would be cheaper and it wouldn't pinch my dads pocket as much. And that is how I would get a new Lego set twice a year. This went on till my Lego occupied half the room if I took all of it out. A time came when I was building huge things like airports and military bases and even aircraft carriers. But there was a problem. The new bricks were nice and shiny and sharp around the edges, whereas the old ones would invariably be dull and worn out with so much use. And the problem really was that I could not build something big unless I used both the old and the new pieces. But the old bricks made whatever I was building look shabby, so I would try to use as many of the new ones as possible and put the old ones in places where they were not so conspicuous. But there was no way I could avoid using them altogether ... not if I wanted to build something grand.

I had just finished reading AB's post on friendship when it occurred to me that the people in our lives - the ones we take for granted - are like old Lego. A person is always going to meet new people and make new friends, but like Lego, just the new is usually not enough. It will keep you happy for a while, but soon a time will come when you'll feel the need for some of the older bricks ... which you won't have if you've gone and thrown them away.

Reason I'm writing is because a friend very dear to me gives me the feeling I no longer fit into the life he is trying to make for himself. I am an old Lego brick that doesn't gel with the new. But he forgets he would not have elolved into the person he is today if it wasn't for the role I and many others like me have played in his life over the past so many years. He forgets the people who lent him money when they had very little of it themselves; he forgets the people who went out of their way to visit him in that hell-hole he was living in only because they didn't want him to feel left out. And surely enough it was those very people who helped him shift to more comfortable lodgings. I can go on, but there is no use.

The parable of the Prodigal Son comes to mind. When someone wants to go, let them.

***

All this talk about Lego got me thinking about how much I wanted to be an architect when I was growing up. I remember reading articles in the Readers Digest about the great Walter Gropius and Bauhaus, and about I.M. Pei (who designed the glass pyramid at the entrance to the Louvre in Paris). I wanted to be like them; I would study at the Harvard School of Design and build the worlds greatest structures. But it never happened.

They call it makhtub - what is written is written.

.... What do they know?

Peace, love and invisible ink.

17 comments:

Pranay said...

I always used to think why peole got so happy when they were the first to comment on some blogs but now that I stand on this pedestal i realise what a great feeling this is!!!
AAAHHHH...
Nice work SWB. Everybody in our life in whatever small waa they can changes our personality.And the thing about old friends new friends is true too. We keep on evolving and the people we once though of as great friends don't figure in our life all that much.But that's life.

Anonymous said...

Ignoring the more deep issues you so eloquently speak ok, lemme me dwell on the superficial & say - I too loved Lego! In fact I think I still do. Ever since I was little had intense desires to built with my lego blocks... soon got airplane sets & boat sets & ...

ahhh, I shall sleep well, fond memories :)

dobereinerr said...

Peace, friendship and fulfilled dreams...

Fanaah said...

If you ever visit London-goto Lego Land, and all your childhood dreams will come to life again

Flying Machine said...

Rightly said

teacup said...

hey, no, yet to go...it's difficult to make a plan wen 15 ppl are involved, something or the other comes up at the last min!!

and hey, friends come and go...like they say:some come for a reason, some for a season and some stay forever...

Anonymous said...

hey buddy..cheer up man. u sounded really hurt and depressed. i don't want to sound 'typical' here..but lemme tell u something..no one is really a FRIEND end of the day. hope u know what i mean. enjoy everything for THAT TIME. if it lasts more than ur expectations, thats BONUS. if not..life just moves. isn't it? dont get me wrong..i am not saying forget past.

Switchblade said...

Dude when were you ever in Bahrain?? Im from Bahrain too...well atleast ive been born and brought up there.
Infact im makin a trip down there next week to be with my folks :)

Anonymous said...

*hugs* How are you?

manuscrypts said...

hello to a fellow blockhead :)

Anonymous said...

lego :-)

Arunima said...

reminds me of my ex.

SwB said...

Thanks for all the comments guys. Sorry for not replying to each one individually.

Pranay: OK from now on we'll reserve the first comment for you :)

Madcap: Yes that would be he ... that is why no updates.

Mel: You really liked Lego that much? :) Wish I had a pretty girl like you to play with when I was a kid ... I used to spend hours playing by myself - which, now that I think about it, is probably why I turned out such a loner.

Faanah: But I always thought Legoland was in Copenhagen.

V: Your comment really got me thinking. Perhaps that's what it is - a desire to let go of all that reminds you of those not-so-good days. But even if that were the case, I don't think I'd ever forget those who helped me make it to better days.

Zen: No I'm not hurt or depressed -just sad. Good to see you again old friend ... long time.

Roy: yeah, and I went to Ind. School too. Looks like we have more in common than just our hometown in Goa :)

Ph: All fine. Good to see you.

Arunima: yeah, ex-es usually seem to excel in this sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

Hi SwB,

I liked the analogy of Lego blocks.Good one.

N friendship can c bad times, but if it breaks down irreparably, i don't think it was ever there.It was just the illusion of friendship tht hanged around, on the subliminal level it was never there.

Asset

afishcalledgoonda said...

Hi SWB...Long time, no? How goes?

FifthBeatle said...

haha.. i'll just say it here for now eh? well.. i don't think i'll take back that "policy" so soon.. it's stupid enough going back on a policy, but it's pure unadulterated wuss to go back in a matter of 2 days :)

maybe after a couple of weeks.. if i don't think it's better this way, then i'll go back! fair enough?

[and yes.. that phrase you mentioned can definitely get you into trouble! what about nudists though? do they say - "agar main galat hoon to main kapade pehenke nachoonga?"]

SwB said...

Asset: if you ask me all this friendship crap is bludy over-rated anyway. That's why they say: you want a friend, get a dog. And if you don't like animals (like me) the bottle is the next best option.

Jo: Good to see you too. Where've you been all this while?

Arnie: Oh I'm pretty sure you're gonna go back on that policy of yours ... but yeah, 2 days is too soon - they wont take you seriously next time :) ... And if there's one thing any self-respecting Goon cannot be, its a wuss!