June 15, 2006

Trane's Blues by the great John Coltrane. This is one mind-blowing CD, and needless to say one of my all-time favourites. Read the reviews on the Amazon page (click on image).

I went to this Jazz Nite at the Willingdon Gym last Friday. The drummer was good, and not far behind were the guitarist and the saxophonist; though I couldn't help wondering how people are not sick to death of listening to stuff like Take-5, Autumn Leaves, Besame Mucho and Louis Armstrong's What A Wonderful World ... yeah, in Bombay even that passes off for jazz. Anyway, it was nice to be treated to some awesome drumming (solo on Take-5 especially). I forget the guys name but they tell me he does studio sessions for - get ready for this - Sonu Nigam! .... yeah if you're a jazz musician in India I guess that's what you gotta do to keep the wolf from the door.

***

Somehow I've always thought of Bombay as being a city without a soul. Each for himself, God for all ... and in Bombay even the Almighty will have his work cut out. Money is what it's all about; money is who you are. And that is why the first thing everybody wants to know is what you're doing. There is a certain uneasiness in the air till that vital piece of information is out in the open. And if what you're doing is not at par with what they do, it makes their evening just a little more enjoyable. Hence there's nothing I like more than having some fun with these all work-no life types you meet practically everywhere; like I did with this investment banker chap I was introduced to last Friday.

Hello SwB, nice to meet you. So what do you do?

Oh nothing much ... I just laze around all day listening to jazz and surfing the internet.

After a pause to see if I was joking or serious -- So who's your favourite jazz star?

Hmm... my jazz stars, let see - Brad Mehldau Trio, George Benson, the Marsalis brothers... so many.

Never heard of them. Do you like Dave Bru-back?

Oh yeah, Bru-back (actually it's
Brubeck) ... he's pretty good. Take-6 is my favourite.

Hmm... I've only heard Take-5 (that's because there is no Take-6,
buddhu!)


But I actually felt sorry for those guys up there on stage giving it their all, because they were playing for an audience that knows as much about jazz as your maid-servant knows about the ballet. But they have the bucks so all is forgiven.

***

Number of friends on Orkut is increasing - 5 now; and I know there are lots of people quietly popping in to view my profile -- sneaky little buggers! :) Some of you asked why I choose to remain anon. Well, anon. is always better I think. Read in the papers couple of days back that employers are now doing Google searches on prospective employees. Bludy dangerous stuff, that - imagine losing out on a job opportunity just because someone doesn't quite like what he finds out about you online. Those overpaid HR scoundrels must be rubbing their hands in glee ... nothing like getting paid for digging up dirt on people!

O.K. Listen to the title track on Trane's Blues; I guarantee you'll love it. It may sound familiar because some idiot DJ did a remix version of it some time ago ... given a chance they'll remix the bludy national anthem.

Peace, love, and a slow train to ecstasy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

dj idiots? aw..now i just feel bad i ever wanted to be one:( ...a dj that is.

yeah, its best to stay anonymous. you never know when they might use the info against you.

madcap loon said...

haha! This is a good one! I've been listenin to Jaco Pastorius for a while now. You gotta check him out!! Tho I kno as much as about jazz as the next person.

Anonymous said...

Good to see that you are still your own cherubic self ;) I'm actually thinking of deleting my orkut profile...

Anonymous said...

Tight hug!

And dunno how I can continue to like someone as mean about Bombay as you.

cactusjump said...

was the drummer steve sequeira? dark crazy (in a good way) looking man with thick glasses?

Anonymous said...

bombay is a city without soul-- I think I agree with you although I would prefer for it to not be true.