November 5, 2004

You know, the best part of my trip to Goa this time was that feeling I got when I found myself sitting alone on the beach at sunset, watching the waves breaking gently against the shore, with the cool sea breeze hitting my face. There was no one around - it was just me and the sand and the sea, and I think for the the first time in my life I found myself being totally at peace. My mind had somehow switched itself off.

Questions like ‘what am I doing’, ‘where am I going’ – all those questions that Richard said were so important to ask yourself every now and then - they didn’t seem to matter any more. Nothing seemed to matter; even I didn’t matter. I felt one with nature and it was a truly beautiful feeling.

I’m guessing that meditation does much the same thing for a person. I’ve never meditated, because I don’t know how, and I haven’t bothered to learn.

I was just lying down listening to Mark Knopfler and Van Morisson singing 'The Last Laugh' from the 'Sailing to Philadelphia' album, when for a brief moment I felt like I did there on the beach. The music is truly a healer. But you know, I’d much rather not have anything that needs healing.

This is for all you guys. Thank you for coming here, and thank you for being there.

Don't you love the sound of the last laugh my friend
Don't you love the sound of the last laugh at the end
Down in the gutter with the mad old soldiers
Down in the scuppers with the drunken sailors
Down in the gutter with the mad old soldiers
But the last laugh, baby is yours
And don't you love the sound of the last laugh going down

Games you thought you'd learned, you neither lost nor won

Dreams have crashed and burned, but you still keep on keeping on
Out on the highway with the road gang working
Up on the mountain with the cold wind blowing
Out on the highway with the road gang working
But the last laugh, baby is yours
And don't you love the sound of the last laugh going down

They had you crying but you came up smiling

They had you crawling and you came up flying
They had you crying and you came up smiling
And the last laugh, baby is yours
And don't you love the sound of the last laugh going down
Yeah don't you love the sound of the last laugh going down


No comments: