The gang was here till 3am last night watching the finals of Euro 2004. Since most of us are Goans it was Viva Portugal!, but Figo & Co. were disappointing. Anyway, at least our garbage woman is happy - I guess nothing brightens up her day more than the sight of so many empty beer bottles. As for me, I was all for Greece.
But its funny how people in Goa, and Goans elsewhere, wanted victory for their former colonial masters. Apart from building hundreds of churches and giving the world a million DeSouza's, the Portugese did bugger all for the state. Electricity came to Goa only in the mid 70's, and telephone is still a luxury in many places. As far as roads, public transportation and other infrastructure is concerned, the Portugese obviously didn't find the need to do anything; and every government since independence has more or less carried on that trend.
I'm sure the British would have done a better job with Goa than the Portugese. How many of you guys believe that India might today have been one big Hong-Kong if we hadn't driven the Brits out?
And how many of you would agree with me if I said that some people are totally incapable of governing themselves, and need to be ruled by other powers? Are we Indians one of those people? Judging by the job we've done with our country in the 50 plus years since independence, I'd say we are.
"So what if we took the Kohinoor Diamond", my Brit friends used to say - "we gave you a lot more. You want to change things in India, call us back." And frankly, I had no answer.
But would the British even want to come back? Going by the problems they're having with the Asians in their own country, I dont think they'd want anything to do with us.
In the news today I hear that the opposition is hell bent on disrupting the budget session of parliament on the issue of tainted ministers. And the PM has promised a debate. Frankly it doesn't look like any issue can be debated when you have a bunch of hooligans running around.
Everyone says, and I agree, that the former BJP government was doing a good job as far as the economy was concerned. If only they could have abandoned their religious agenda, and focussed more on things that really matter.
Aldous Huxley wrote this in 1926, and its sad that his words still hold good today.
"Religion is a luxury which India, in its present condition, cannot possibly afford. India will never be free until the Hindus and the Moslems are as tepidly enthusiastic about their religion as we are about the Church of England. If I were an Indian millionaire, I would leave all my money for the endowment of an Atheist Mission."
Sometimes I feel that the only thing any government in power can really do is 'damage control'. Getting this country back to good is a very distant dream.
Ok, thats Part 1 of post. Now to Part 2.
Anita :) good to have you back ...did you catch anything?
Manu: lol ...yes I think that should be edited to "what a girl that Maria Sharapova is" It is true that womens tennis has always been about the women, never about the tennis. My all time favourite is still Martina Hingis.
Madhu: I found the Chinese guitars suprisingly good. They also have acoustic's with built-in pick-up's and equaliser controls for 6 grand. I'd rate them on par with the Korean one's. Btw, nice post that - on bumper stickers. I saw this one on a Pajero recently:
"I believe in Tit for Tat. Want some Tat?"
Ok, what else? ...lots of people have stopped blogging recently. Sommersaults blog says 'closed'. Hope its only for the holidays. But I guess after a while you either tend to run out of things to say, or you just want to shut up for a bit.
It seems the Muslim Personal Law Board is considering putting an end to the practice of divorce by triple Talaq. Hmmm... quite frankly it would be fun if we guys had something like that. Wife not behaving? - just say Talaq twice - that'll teach her a lesson!
Just kididng! BFN.
No comments:
Post a Comment