"It’s not till sex has died out between a man and a woman that they can really love. And now I mean affection. Now I mean to be fond of (as one is fond of oneself)— to hope, to be disappointed, to live inside the other heart. When I look back on the pain of sex, the love like a wild fox so ready to bite, the antagonism that sits like a twin beside love, and contrast it with affection, so deeply unrepeatable, of two people who have lived a life together (and of whom one must die) it’s the affection I find richer. It’s that I would have again. Not all those doubtful rainbow colours."
-- Enid Bagnold (1889–1981), British novelist, playwright. Autobiography, ch. 6 (1969).
***
Dan Seals with a song I used to listen to when I was in college - Still a little bit of love.
-- Enid Bagnold (1889–1981), British novelist, playwright. Autobiography, ch. 6 (1969).
***
Dan Seals with a song I used to listen to when I was in college - Still a little bit of love.
11 comments:
:)
Maybe 'tis a little like the calm after a storm. You weather the storm, only to relish the calm later deeply. Or, maybe, these are platitudes we console ourselves with as we grow older & face our mortality & accept it when passion is replaced by affection. i really dont know. The one brings wild joy, the other peace; both are important and both nurture and inspire us.
Illhealth, broken hearts, rejections, failures - aren't these all a precursor to the ultimate calm?
Well said sir! Or should I say well quoted? ha ha!
True love is when sex sinks so far into the background while still being attracted to someone so enthralling.
what? are you getting married or something? they are those, who are about to be hitched, who go fishing for these love quotes nad all.. just... stay away! and stay awake!
hey,
this is most sensible thing i have read in recent times. might steal it to post elsewhere.
thanks SWB!
love
gargi
:)
:)
:)
its the same ol' blues...
S.
yes, the doubtful colours. but enjoy them while you have them :-)
I loved the song. Been a long time since I heard such music, and brings a rush of so many things.
Thanks!
M
Post a Comment