September 21, 2009

What was intended to be just another ride downtown to grab a couple of beers ended up in over 2 grand parting ways with us because the band in attendance was Soulmate, the blues outfit from Shillong, which I've read so much about on Eve's.

With some very talented musicians and a brilliant lead vocalist (Tipriti 'Tips' Kharbangar I believe her name is) who, when she gets going, sounds like she's got the devil trapped inside her, they sound good - very good. Only problem is they tend to stick to the formula too much if you know what I mean. Because a great bluesman is someone who can take it off the road and still not lose the way. That's what makes you special. Which is why after listening to Soulmate for over two hours last night I'll say they are good but they ain't special. Which doesn't mean they don't have it in them. On the contrary they are one of the best live acts I've heard in a long time.

There's a fine line between the blues and rock n' roll and Soulmate seemed to cross that line quite often. Because when people get up and start dancing you know you've left the blues behind. Coz the blues is music for the soul, not the feet. Or maybe I'm being too harsh. It's always more difficult when you're live in front of a crowd that don't know Albert Collins from Albert King, so maybe that was what was driving their track selection. Which is why I'd love to get my hands on their CD.

They play at the Blue Frog, Sept 30, Mumbai City. Catch them if you can. The girl is awesome - she's like that V12 under the hood - she is the powerhouse! Without her I reckon Soulmate would be nowhere close to the act it is.

***

Thanks for all your comments on the previous post. I especially liked that long one by Scratchpost ... made me laugh. Yeah, those are the kind of ads I'd like to see. Why do people focus so much on looks anyway? Because really it doesn't mean a thing if there is a union of souls.

For Scratchpost - the great John Lee Hooker with Bonnie Raitt. Now this is a song I'd love to hear 'Tips' sing. Coz I tell you man - she can get anyone in the mood!

13 comments:

Spazsim Chasm said...

hey, thanks for stopping by :) i love the track you've posted... will definitely try to check Soulmate out at the frog :)

heh? ok said...

'tis wonderful when one's classmates get famous :)
she did a very spirited rendition on 'no scrubs' for our class when we were nearing the end of school. good times.

Anonymous said...

So you will let me know when (and where)you get your hands on their CD? Its been a long time, we ought to shoot the breeze once in a while. ;-)

AJ

Eveline said...

I'm so glad you finally got to watch them. They're absolutely insanely good LIVE.
Their music is only surpassed by Tipriti's onstage persona.

Ever since i got the album, I've been enjoying it tremendously. I can send it to you if you'd like. You might have to wait for awhile if you want it with an autograph. :)

agent green glass said...

first eve. now you. i will be at blue frog on the 30th. and if they are as good as you guys say, then it should be worth breaking the bank for those blood sucking leeches at blue frog.

brandysoda said...

Whoa...this is cool...I live in Memphis, TN and looks like they will be playing here in Jan 2010. I like how they sound...I may just make a trip down to Beale Street to catch'em live.

Jaya said...

lovely. it is. lovely.
i also recommend "in a sentimental mood" by ellington & coltrane, if you're a jazz-man as well.

Jaya said...

just saw muzak. man, i love cowboy junkies. especially sweet jane.

x said...

Dear SwB,

This comment is not in context to your post, I apologize.

I've been a lurker on your blog for quite a while now. From your page, I have been re-directed to many an amazing blogs and I thank you for it.

I've now been inspired to blog again. Just wanted to let you know I've listed your blog on my space. Hope you don't mind. (If you do, I will promptly take it down)

Do visit:
http://deardemons.blogspot.com/

D

LostLittleGirl said...

Yeahh! I'm so glad everyone is talking of Soulmate, I have a huge girl crush on Tipriti since forever, her voice, her stage presence everybludything. That idiot who keeps jumping in blue frog, that wannabe we are still in the 70's outfit Shaiir and Func act should watch these guys perform and hang up their guitars!

You're right about them not branching out, but slow is the way to win the race I guess.

Pallavi said...

I love this band.. I like Rudy wallang's sound.. :)
Trip is good..

Good.. I have been meaning to catch them live.. missing it..

Being from Shillong, am glad they are making waves.. :)

mentalie said...

hullo SWB. though i'd decided on going to the BF to catch soulmate anyway, your critique of them has got me even more curious...
btw, i am completely with you on the matrimonial's suggestion. you're right. thing'd be so much simpler if we all came clean :D

Jaya said...

so then went for soulmate ester-day.
they're totally blues meets rock. i even saw some head banging! and what looked like tap dancing :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scratchpost/sets/72157622367650783/