I'm just wondering: If Barack Obama's skin color was more his mothers than his old man's, would the Blacks still be rejoicing?
And something tells me more will be expected from him than any President in the history of the United States. He has talked his way into the White House, but it'll take a lot more than that to stay there.
We wish him the best though, don't we? Yes we do. Go-bama!
***
I head to Hyderabad this weekend. For only a day unfortunately. To attend a friends wedding. I've heard them Hyderabadis (or whatever they're called) have really lavish weddings with shitloads of dowry coming the grooms way. If we (meaning the Goans) had ever to ask for dowry we'd be considered the worst damn villains on earth. The Mallus I believe are also quite notorious in these matters. In their case I've heard it's even a prestige thing, where if the girls parents don't give enough their standing in society gets diminished somewhat!
Anyway, I'm hoping to get a Nokia N-Series as takeaway gift. Sponsored by the guys folks of course.
Couldn't believe how much it costs to fly to Hyderabad though. 12 to 13 grand for a round trip. Bugger it I said, I'm going by bus. Hope to have some nice Hyderabadi dame sitting next to me and not some Naxal rotter. But I have shit luck with these things. The last time I travelled by bus it was only my tough constitution that kept me going. At the lunch stop this old blighter in the next seat had eaten like it was his last damn meal on earth and kept throwing up into a flimsy see-through plastic bag for the next 1 hour, I kid you not! If he was 30 years younger I would have slapped the bastard.
One of my favourites - The Marshall Tucker Band .... Fire on the Mountain. This for my mate AJ, who loves the open roads just like me. All I gotta do is head over to the Enfield Showroom which is just down the street from here and do it, but I don't know what stops me. One of these days though I just might.
I think what stops me is the fear that once I'm out there I may never want to return. To what I now call life. For you AJ... Ride on!
And something tells me more will be expected from him than any President in the history of the United States. He has talked his way into the White House, but it'll take a lot more than that to stay there.
We wish him the best though, don't we? Yes we do. Go-bama!
***
I head to Hyderabad this weekend. For only a day unfortunately. To attend a friends wedding. I've heard them Hyderabadis (or whatever they're called) have really lavish weddings with shitloads of dowry coming the grooms way. If we (meaning the Goans) had ever to ask for dowry we'd be considered the worst damn villains on earth. The Mallus I believe are also quite notorious in these matters. In their case I've heard it's even a prestige thing, where if the girls parents don't give enough their standing in society gets diminished somewhat!
Anyway, I'm hoping to get a Nokia N-Series as takeaway gift. Sponsored by the guys folks of course.
Couldn't believe how much it costs to fly to Hyderabad though. 12 to 13 grand for a round trip. Bugger it I said, I'm going by bus. Hope to have some nice Hyderabadi dame sitting next to me and not some Naxal rotter. But I have shit luck with these things. The last time I travelled by bus it was only my tough constitution that kept me going. At the lunch stop this old blighter in the next seat had eaten like it was his last damn meal on earth and kept throwing up into a flimsy see-through plastic bag for the next 1 hour, I kid you not! If he was 30 years younger I would have slapped the bastard.
One of my favourites - The Marshall Tucker Band .... Fire on the Mountain. This for my mate AJ, who loves the open roads just like me. All I gotta do is head over to the Enfield Showroom which is just down the street from here and do it, but I don't know what stops me. One of these days though I just might.
I think what stops me is the fear that once I'm out there I may never want to return. To what I now call life. For you AJ... Ride on!
9 comments:
Men depend on dowry for all the things they couldn't buy on their own. It's like women being fixated with snagging a rich husband. You ought to get that Enfield ;)
LLG
If we don't hate getting back to reality, why would we love the open road?
Oh and thanks for the dedication, I was kinda expecting it. :-P
-AJ.
Someone Obama getting elected doesn't suprise me..
The run between Hillary & Obama was more fun..
And like you said, when they all talk about equality, why do they call for votes because he'd be the first black prez..
btw.. i am unable to view the post you made on 1st nov on your blog.. is it just me or have you removed it ?
hey salt water blues..i ve been following your blog for almost an year now and believe you me, there are time when i m actually laughing out loud, it totally brightens my day to read your posts, i ve even exacavated all of your archives n love the moozak.
sadly i dont blog myself. one day.
i totally absolutely love the way you think.
be.
regards
not so spicy brain.
Nokia N-Series! No way! I have to spend 25 grand on my flight and get nothing... Hopefully the men will be worth the trip ;P
I've always wanted to take off and just get far away from work. Fortunately, that happens tomo. :)
Hope u have a great weekend, SwB!
goans ask child. only not so directly. my cousin met this family - where the mother kept on talking about how their house was empty and they were waiting for the bahu to come and "decorate it as per her choice ( read with her money)"
enjoy the trip. eat lots of biryani
Hey SWB,
I am a hyderabadi n you have heard right about the dowry
My parents have to shed 15 -20 lacs to find a husband for me :-)
you are right about the prestige thing as well. And the funniest thing is if any man says he doesnt want a dowry the girl's parents may suspect him to be impotent
Have a good time in Hyd n dont forget to eat the Hyderabadi Biryani :-))
damn...iam a fuckin mallu and no one told me abt this dowry thingy....really need to get my head outta the sand...always wanted a harley ...wonder if wifey will be kind enuf to provide...last time i heard, she was planning to return me and get a refund...
Post a Comment