August 16, 2009

If someone had stuck a finger up his arse then perhaps he'd have reason to be sore (awful pun intended!). But making such an issue over the minor matter of being detained at a US airport, something hundreds of people go through every day, is quite unnecessary I think. Because let's face it Mr. Khan: you may be a big-shot celebrity over here but in America you're just another Muslim with an expensive pair of shades.

***

I was kind of under the weather all week but large doses of alcohol over the weekend did the trick. I could even manage to look into my investments and what do you know - not in the red anymore! Though for how long that lasts remains to be seen. I've decided to try the SIP route now so let's see how that works out. Because when I think about it if my father had invested regularly since the 70's it might have been us living in a sea-facing 19th century villa at Bandstand instead of some chap called Khan.

***

Instrumental week here on the Blues. Kick it off with Mammagamma by the Alan Parsons Project. Tata Sky users will recognize this one. And I doubt they pay Alan anything for using his tune. It's like someone (AGG I think it was) once said about Kenny G -- If he got paid for every time one of his tunes was played in an elevator he'd be worth billions! Which gets me thinking: so much depends on where your audience is at. Seat them in an auditorium or a cinema hall and you become an entertainer. Put them in an elevator, and well - you're just a pleasant distraction.

11 comments:

Tripti Chouhan said...

:) amazing way of putting the SRK issue...
and yup...SIP is a brilliant idea...most ppl don't get it though...i hv always tried to make my dad see some sense in it ;) to no avail.

Purely Narcotic said...

You couldn't have put the SRK brouhaha into better perspective, SwB! :)

S said...

:) True...in his mind he is 'god' (godawful for me tho!!)...maybe this would throw him down on Earth for a while...

Anonymous said...

I think the issue is abot the treatment of Muslims in America. He was stranded because his name was a common name in the list!- the terrorist list. While its easy for us to to pass our comments on SRK, i think for the country that we are, issues when voiced by a 'celebrity' may have more impact.Racial profiling is not a nice thing at all... Not every Muslim is a terrorist.

Seema Smile said...

SIP route is good... although I prefer the gulp route :)

rupagulab said...

Love yer awful puns!Bring 'em on!

Arunima said...

umm his name is Khan and he seemed annoyed. Ass!

I stopped investing in SIPs. need to restart them. By this, I have to look into my investments. My dad still goes the post office and FD way. Worst part is that, I did it for a long time too. :-)

hyde said...

I saw what you did. :-D

--Hyde

Dagny said...

You were correct when you said what you are depends on who your audience is. But what you play is a very big determining factor as to who listens to you as well. :)

APP rocks! Good to see a fellow APP fan. They are my #2 most 'listened to' band!
http://www.last.fm/user/sudnya

:D

As far as the SRK issue goes, Indian media hypes them up way too much!

mystic rose said...

:) you might like this article then

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

Anupama said...

I love this song...it's one of my all time favourites for it's dreamy feel!