April 26, 2009

Like a weary traveller with a bag full of burdens I stepped into St. Michael's this morning, and almost immediately a tremendous calm engulfed me; the voices of those 5 little girls in the choir like a soothing balm. I wanted to go up to them after mass, give them some money and say- Here, treat yourselves to some ice-cream or something, you girls were just divine! I did a lot of choirs in my time and it always seemed like such a headache, the practices and all, but now I know what it can do for that guy sitting quietly in the last pew with so much on his mind.

***

At the gymkhana last evening I saw the most beautiful couple dancing (later learnt they were both professional dance instructors). Every move so graceful, so effortless, so well synchronized. Musicians (more out of jealousy than anything else) jokingly say 'those who can't do, dance' but hell, I'll give anything to dance like that. Later CS and I hung out at Club IX, which is where people (poor Macs like us) who can't afford Poison and Zenji go to. I'd rather have gone to Janata and then to Toto's or Hawaiian (which is something even the rich farts do) but it was too late. We talked about how cool it would be start a club of our own, CS with his Abhishek Bachchan looks (actually he's a lot groovier than that arse AB) would draw in all the dames, and I'd handle the muzak. Because it really beats me how people can shake to some moron singing some shit about how he wants to fly so high ... over the rainbow. Or something like that.

Matchmaker aunty says there are 30 girls for every eligible guy. I laughed. And laughed. Unbelievable! But these girls of today are so fussy you know, says adds. Ally says they're not only fussy, they're mad! ... Dude did I tell you about that dame in the next building who named her dog Francis! LMAO

It was Ally's idea to take me to matchmaker aunty, btw. Do you mind a girl who earns more than you, asks she. Mind?? Hell no! What could be nicer than taking care of the home, learning to cook, listening to music full-volume on my Nakamichi while the missus toils all day in that corporate slavehouse she calls the office. I'll give her a foot massage every evening ... oh I bet she'll love that! No, seriously- why are men ashamed/insecure about their wives earning more than them? I think it's wonderful. And if I do turn out to be a great cook (which I bludy will) we could perhaps open a little restaurant or a club once she's got enough saved up. Hell, what a brilliant idea! I better tell matchmaker aunty to find me a girl who earns double what I earn. Even if it means having to bullshit about my salary.

***

Watched American Idol for the first time this season. Adam Lambert - I think he's smug, don't you? But he's good, I'll give him that. Not great, but good. How can you say that SwB - he's Adam Lambert! Well, you may think he's bludy Elvis Presley for all I care, I still won't say he's great. Cuz it takes a lot more than that to be great.

From their 1970 album Pendulum, Johnny "who'll stop the rain" Fogerty & CCR ... Pagan Baby. Do this Adam, I dare you!

12 comments:

Jason said...

A girl who earns more is always welcome :) (OBVIOUSLY!!!) Think about it. You can make music or write a book while the wifey makes the moolah and you take care of the chulla.. Would be cool na? Cooking and taking care of Francis types and learning massage techniques in the spare time! And yeah, planning a super first of its kind Club :)

Anonymous said...

i love you SWB!

-anon

LostLittleGirl said...

ha ha. Exactly.I always wondered how this didn't suit men more.Good luck hunting the shaadi market.

I hate that flying high piece of crap too, especially how everyone starts jumping like 14 year old balls once it starts playing, no matter which city in India you are in.

tan said...

hey : )

S said...

lol...i can imagine u jumping up and down...30 girls to a guy!! whatta ratio :P
one of them left u the anon mssg i see ;) ;)
ssup swb?

rupagulab said...

Did you see/hear Adam Lambert doing Mad World and Born to be wild? If you had, you may have been blown away too!

Eveline said...

30 girls for every guy! Lucky men! Have you crossed your number yet?? :P

I'm not following this season of AI but i hear Adam Lambert makes the women swoon. And someone just told you they loved you.. awww! Was that 31?

LostLittleGirl said...

Write something already!

Aarti said...

hey there

loved this post of urs...was watching a tv show that was abt why men dont wanna marry women higher educated/earning more than them and all were being such !@#%$!!

ur post was funny and uber cool..
nice blog :)

Aarti said...

oh.. btw, hearing the song 1st time, nice!!!

Sue said...

Oi. Tossed this way by the Parul. I love your choice of music. Not too many CCR fans amongst the bloggers I read. :)

I'll be back (and no, that shouldn't worry you).

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha a matchmaker band-rrra aunty who's looking for prospective grooms just called the other day saying...the current ones earn lesser...we'll have to wait :)