January 12, 2008

I heard the mobile ring in my pocket and pulled over to the side of the road to take it. When I saw it was my mum calling I knew what it was. The news we all knew was coming. She was gone. Nearly ten years of suffering, operation after operation, the diabetes, the wounds that wouldn't heal, finally it was over. If I had gone to Goa for Christmas I'd have met her one last time, but it wasn't to be. On the phone couple of weeks ago all she kept saying was that she was praying for me. That's what grandmothers do most I guess - pray.

I couldn't hold back the tears, right there on the road. Did she have a good life I wondered? It was a tough life, that's for sure. Those were the days when girls were married off at 18 or 20, and had to make the best of the future that was on offer. There were very few choices. Given that I'd say she had a better life than many others.

Death and suffering is something I always find myself running away from. I know I would have gone for the funeral had it not come at such a bad time. But it's like one of the guys from the office in Zuerich said to me - for things such as these there's never a good time.

Memories keep flooding in ... things she used to say to us when we were kids, the way she could understand everything we said in English without being able to speak a word of the language herself, and of course all those summer holidays in the big house up on the hill that was built brick by brick. It won't be the same without her when we go back there next month, my brother and I, but we must go back. Not so much to relive the memories as to say thank you.

like two sparrows in a hurricane
trying to find their way
the world says they'll never make it
but love says they will


19 comments:

shub said...

Condolences, SwB. Lost mine about 4 months back, and your post brought back memories.

ANC said...

It's never too late to say thank you. She'll be listening. Hope you're okay.

Just Me said...

More than anything, I think remembering her and being thankful for the memories would mean the world to her.

My condolences, mate :(

Anonymous said...

Hug.

Kahini

Sonia said...

*hug*

Much ado about nothing.... said...

My condolences, take care.

B o o said...

My condolences. Take care.

Extempore said...

My condolences, SwB. I lost mine nearly 7 yrs ago now and I wasn't in town either...

Take care of yourself.

Its all Maya said...

Hugses

Sig said...

heya...hugs to you :( I remember my grandmother passing away and wishing I was there to say thank you as well. Corny I know but, keep her memories in your heart and she will always be alive to you :)

Unknown said...

beautifully written.

my heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

reminds me so much about the loss of my grandmother, and the blog post i wrote about her three years ago this march.

some things you just can't get over. not a day will go by without missing her.

here's wishing for fond memories.

S said...

Im sorry man...i know how bad it is. My grandmother went through pretty much the same. Ten long years of suffering and handicap...it sucked the life out of her once twinkling eyes. Just thinking about it cramps my throat...She used to make these unbelievably amazing plum jams!! :)
Be glad that she is not hurting anymore...and she's definitely in a much better place than here...
*hug*

Cynic in Wonderland said...

sorry for your loss swb *hugs

Anonymous said...

hugs SwB.

Pompy

Anonymous said...

My most sincere and heartfelt condolences!

Take care buddy!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this...take care. Reminds me of something I wish to hear soon.

Tartrazina said...

sorry... huggers

SwB said...

Thank you all very much.

Anonymous said...

Peace be on her. I know how you feel.