October 4, 2007



I think the most annoying English proverb is the one that goes: You can't have your cake and eat it too. What good is the bludy cake if I can't frikkin' eat it. Bullshit!

I'm saying this because in spite of it being all nice and pretty, I don't think I'd be able to live here permanently. Life really would be quite mundane. Everything is so prim and proper that it can get to you after a while ... in fact the word I'd use is 'sanitized'. Now I understand why Indians living in the West save up all year to make that annual journey home. And it's got nothing to do with the country - it's the people.

Let me put it like this -- Life here is a constant. We Indians, we need the variables. Living in a place where everything was the same day in and day out would bludy kill us, even if it was all clean and beautiful. That's why when the train this morning was late by three minutes due to a heavy downpour, I suddenly felt at home. But you should have seen the worry on all the other faces. It was quite amusing.
***

Plan for this weekend not chalked out yet. I think I'd like to explore Zurich some more instead of heading out to Interlaken or Lausanne. But I'm not sure the others would like that too much. You know how it is with us Desis - we need to brag to everyone back home how many places we went to. Doesn't matter that we ended up seeing so little of those places.



It is a common sight here to see couples smooching in public (like these two I photographed at Mt. Pilatus). But when it's an Indian couple like the one I saw at Berne station last wekeend, it really is quite hilarious. More so when both boy and girl are nerdy looking techie types. And there's a big difference when the firangs do it and when we do it. They know how to kiss ... we do something funny with our lips and make idiots of ourselves. I tried to pretend I wasn't looking, or even bothered for that matter, but for some reason they decided to move away.

Food. Last night I ate Falafel at a Lebanese joint. Which was the worst damn Falafel I've ever eaten. Tasteless bludy shit. The previous night I had pizza at Dominoes. And what a treat that was. They have something called a Full House meaning it comes fully loaded. I tell you I'd kill to have pizza like that in India. And of course beer like Eichhof. Bludy good stuff.

Picture right on top is of the sun shining down on Lake Luzern. Taken by me last Saturday with my friends Sony Cybershot. (not a bad picture I think for such a lousy camera)

Ciao.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!
You are awesome man..

That Girl said...

My husband wants to settle down in India, and i keep telling him he needs to leave all order behind if he does so!! i LOVE it in India.. relationships come first most of the time there!! as compared to here!!! its crazy how materialistic Americans are.. i married a VERY different american guy i must say, because i have noticed people are so illprepared for everything!!!

anish said...

sanitized is the absolutely accurate word! sterilized would also be ok.
nice photo!
when is your circles in the sand picture and verse book coming out? it will sell pakka.

Anonymous said...

Too "sanitized" and "constant". That is *so* true! In spite of all it's craziness, I love India. The people are just so much warmer.

~N.

Anonymous said...

Who goes to Switzerland and eats Lebanese food and then complains about the falafel? Only someone who is stupid enough to eat Domino's pizza and rave about it!!! Stop acting like an American tourist and eat some German/Italian/French food, which Swiss food is a perfect blend of.
And btw it's spelled Lucern, even tho they pronounce it with a z sound...
I still think you are fake. Wonder if you will delete this post as well :)
Wouldn't it be easier to just learn how to delete comments that don't rave about you but just speak the truth?

AK

SwB said...

AK: I have had Swiss food (like Rosti and a pork sausage and ham dish yesterday, the name of which I cant remember). It's just that I don't fancy eating mashed potatoes and pasta all the time. The Lebanese joint and Dominos pizza are just down the street from where I stay, so its more convenient.

I know how its spelt. I like to spell it with a z.

I reserve the right to delete whatever I want ... but fyi I dont normally delete comments (which is why your are able to post anon. comments). If you have a problem with me/with what I say, that's fine. You are free to move over to the next blog.

Cheers!

S said...

beautiful pic of the lake...i always thought cybershot was a real good camera! :)
and...belated happy birthday...i see u had a grand time! ;)

Unknown said...

Wow... haters, don't be hating.
Dude Salty Blues, I think your cyber popularity has reached a new level. Your cyber entity has reached to a place, where I can only imagine to be. Haters showing up at your blogsteps only prove it to be true. Statistically it is bound to happen, and I think it is a good thing.
I have seen your profile on orkut. I'd like to meet you some day and have a beer or two over some fried fish.

Sandhya Menon said...

Hey,SWB, why don't you hire Mr Anonymous Spell Checker as your personal copy editor? Then you can send him French/Swiss leftovers as salary! :)
I know, I know, I am being mean but people who live to provoke annoy me the most, only second to people with who do it anonymously.
So anyway, I actually came here to say how well I think of you for not bragging about your trip (And frying my brains with excited expressions translated into exclamation marks. eg: "I am going Timbaktu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!")
I mean one day you're sitting in Bombay and the next traipsing around in pristine Switzerland :)
Well, have a lovely trip. :)

Anonymous said...

whoa, and here i was wondering y u didnt reply to my happy bday msg. grr...i wanna b there too..u making it sound so tempting to b there ya.

have a good time and i know the godiva chocs r for someone special but theres no harm in askin for a small share of them :P

kisses*

Priyanka said...

What a lovely pic!

Anonymous said...

"They know how to kiss ... we do something funny with our lips and make idiots of ourselves."

offending statement...you really piss me off sometimes..

-blog reader