You know this little turd has taken over the world when your roadside bookseller has taken out everything he usually sells and has only Harry and the ... whateverthebludyhellitscalled. And the price - 750 bucks! Aren't you supposed to sell this stuff for 2-3 hundred, I ask him (that's what they normally sell copies of bestsellers for). He looks at me as if to say ... Lena hai toh le, nahin toh aage jaa! Turns out they ain't bootlegs.
So Harry rules and there's nothing anybody can do about it. The entrance to Landmark bookstore had been converted to look some dark medieval castle with Hogwarts written on it. And as I look at the kids (and many of the hulks) as excited as Christmas morning, I can't but help wonder -- do they know anything else? I mean there is so much more for a kid to do these days than just revel in some fantastical hocus-pocus.
If my old man had bought us guitars when we were seven, we'd have been right up there, my brother and I ... no doubt about it. But all we did was watch TV and read Enid Blyton and stuff like Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. So the question I ask myself -- all these kids going gaga over Harry Potter, will they 10 years from now be saying: what did we get out of it?
The way I look at it, you should give your kids stuff that adds value. What kind of value addition is any kid getting from Harry Potter? If somebody would please care to tell me.
... Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this whole Pottermania thing.
***
Anyway, here's some really good music for those of you not busy reading Harry.
This is Jimmy Page, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson and Allan Holdsworth performing that Jimi Hendrix classic - Little Wing. Quite a lineup, ain't it? ... and you know what they say happens when the Gods get together -- They raise hell!
So Harry rules and there's nothing anybody can do about it. The entrance to Landmark bookstore had been converted to look some dark medieval castle with Hogwarts written on it. And as I look at the kids (and many of the hulks) as excited as Christmas morning, I can't but help wonder -- do they know anything else? I mean there is so much more for a kid to do these days than just revel in some fantastical hocus-pocus.
If my old man had bought us guitars when we were seven, we'd have been right up there, my brother and I ... no doubt about it. But all we did was watch TV and read Enid Blyton and stuff like Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. So the question I ask myself -- all these kids going gaga over Harry Potter, will they 10 years from now be saying: what did we get out of it?
The way I look at it, you should give your kids stuff that adds value. What kind of value addition is any kid getting from Harry Potter? If somebody would please care to tell me.
... Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this whole Pottermania thing.
***
Anyway, here's some really good music for those of you not busy reading Harry.
This is Jimmy Page, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson and Allan Holdsworth performing that Jimi Hendrix classic - Little Wing. Quite a lineup, ain't it? ... and you know what they say happens when the Gods get together -- They raise hell!
17 comments:
that's quite a line up for little wing! cool and thanks!
Harry Potter is just an excuse. Parents are glad that their kids are reading books and not glued to the video game or Internet screens.
kids, I understand but what about the adults? I heard people got up at 4 in the morning to get to the store.
Oi Blues! What's goin on> Was listenin to REM a while back. Werent u a rem fan? Or was that Zen. Shit I'm havin a blackout. I better go and finish the rest of my work. laterer!! -madcap
hey cmon..
at least being senti over potter is better than being glued to TV!!
And about value addition, apart from children, Potter brings some magic and innocence back in our adult lives...providing much respite from the real world, which can gladly been given a break for a while!
And why does one always have to look at value addition from everything in life? Anyway, you would know only if you read it.
yeah..once we start working, i suppose we focus on only doing things which are value-add..once we aren't doing things which are of value-add to us, we change our job :)
Lets not make try filling up childhoods with value-add things - let there be the freedom to waste some time..
you missed my parry hotter series finale!!!!
hey SWB...I'm a reader of Harry Potter, have read all the Nancy Drews and Hardy Boys. Sure at 30 today when I look back, nothing tangible I've got in turn, but books have given me the power to dream, to imagine, and believe in the world of make believe. And I'm definitely richer by that! Sure I also wish I could play the guitar, piano, and the harp..but books beat all of them, and I'm sure glad about it!
Love your blog...keep them coming!
You know, the one thing that Harry Potter does is give the child's imagination a work out. I usually desist from hyped-about things but Harry Potter is good for kids. The only risk it runs, I think, is that they just might never read anything else in their lives!!
The fact that you can write delightful rants is perhaps an ode to your reading...of Nancy Drew or Voltaire's Divine comedy matters little...
You are quite right that what you gained out it isn't quite tangible...you can adjectivize (is that a word?) imagination in many ways but tangible isn't one of them.
So give JK Rowling a break...she has managed to (almost) make imagination tangible.
Oh I absolutely share your sentiments on this one.. so nice to see others who call him a turd... yeah!! let them boo all they want..
Love your taste in music.. some of my fav people too..
Well this post made my day..
cheers
z
i don't see how reading means no value addition, but playing guitars does.
harry potter may not be the best piece of literature but it has made reading 'cool', something meant for the non-nerds too. it has revived interest for reading among people (both kids and adults). isn't that good enough?
i paid 825 bucks for it! (after discount!) no fair! you can't buy it that cheap!
(i'm not saying you did, i'm just talking world.)
it's quite evident that u r talkin out of mere impressions, n havent read a single book. otherwise u wont say, it's no value addition
I couldn't agree more on the pottermania...we have finally perfected the art of marketing an above average book and elevating it to a cult status...No I wasn't there in Landmark and I am waiting for this 'mania' to settle before I step into any decent bookshop again...Well, you may call me 'without imagination' but thank you I will give this wizard a miss...
Some of my fav music's here...am I glad that few sensible folks are still around!
aah Jimi Hendrix...just love 'Little Wing'...the inspiration (so they say) behind Pearl Jam's 'Yellow Ledbetter'...incidentally, Vedder's done a great cover of little wing...
And reading good books could probably lead kids to become great authors someday :)
Post a Comment