January 22, 2007

I couldn't help noticing her as they walked in. She has big bright eyes. The eye-liner makes them look even bigger I think. She has nice teeth too ... don't smile much though. Black tank-top is very sexy. Nice slender arms, big forehead, hair tied behind in a bun. A bit heavy on the hips though, but that's an Indian thing. Lights up a cigarette .... she looks good smoking. Classy, that's what she is. Very classy.

I can see her friends' butt-crack. But you see that everywhere these days. Her friends are loud. She prefers to listen. The look in her eyes as they meet mine tells me she'd rather be somewhere else.

***

Delhi crowd at the next table is starting to annoy me. Three guys, one very fat chick. The guys brag about how much beer they can drink. I remember that time Fats, me and Ivan had three strong beers each and than downed a whole bottle of tequila ... a deadly mix that was. But I have nothing to prove now. Nothing to prove. To nobody.

***

Where did she come from? Suddenly there she is, right across me at the table behind us. What a lovely, happy face. The dimples are so pretty. You can tell they're celebrating. The other two are probably her sister and brother-in-law. Has she passed an exam, or made it to B-school, or did she get a call from that company after so much waiting? Whatever it is, she seems thrilled. And that red tee-shirt highlights the mood.

I pick up the bill and look at her again on my way out. I should bring Viv to this place when she's in town, I tell myself. I wonder if she likes sizzlers ... Heck I don't even know if she eats meat.

***

She wants to have ice-cream called Ti Amo. I don't know how she still has place in that little stomach after such a heavy meal. Takes me to this big multiplex where there's quite a crowd for Ti Amo. In contrast not a soul at Baskin 31 Robbins. They didn't do their homework before coming to India, Baskin 31. This group of men pushing up behind us speaking some South Indian language make her nervous. She clutches my arm. Dee used to do that. Even when we were walking down the street she'd be holding my arm. I never asked her why.

***

It's chilly tonight. I can feel her shivering. But I had told her to wear a jacket. She's telling me about her friend who's about to make the biggest mistake of her life marrying some choot .... Same old story. I'm thinking about work tomorrow.

Her cheek is cold as I kiss her goodnight. Thank you, I had fun. Me too

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

the same inscrutable blues :)

zypsy said...

"the arm holding," that's a woman thingy and very adorable:-)

Anonymous said...

subbu, I lost track midway.. just how many different females are we talking about here? :p

Anonymous said...

Very nice......need to know the endof the story........:)

heh? ok said...

pleasant. nice and soothing.

heh? ok said...

and oh, vonda shepard, till the time i actually tasted red wine, i imagined her voice to be what it should taste like...rich, mellow, yummy.

Anonymous said...

I also hold arms... guess you're right, may be a woman thing! Hugs to Swb!

Sig said...

Love your writing SwB...makes me wish I could notice details like this and wish that interesting things happened to me lol :P

Anonymous said...

Been so long since I held his hand! Sigh...woman thing or not, it sure is a bliss to have a strong bigger hand hold your tiny one:)! nice one salty.

Iris said...

You feast us with nice, sweet images:-)

Grey Shades said...

You werent talking abt Zamus now, were you?