July 25, 2006

I was busy all day Sunday but they tell me I missed quite a show. The hero of the day was a 6-year-old boy called Prince, with our gallant Army Engineers forming the supporting cast. And as is usually the case with anything in our country, there was no shortage of an audience.

But from reading Selma's post it appears to me that the television news-channels entered new territory so to speak with their coverage of the incident. I'm sure they are still patting themselves on the back for a job exceedingly well done. And now I read that the Haryana government has announced a Rs. 2 lakh cash award for the kid and promised him free education and what have you. I say while they're at it they might as well find him a 6-year-old princess and get the fellow married off.

So that is the 'power' of the media (to make it sound like Rajdeep Sardesai). It can take a kid from nowhere and turn him into a superstar. Poor Neha Kapur must have been pretty upset that all the SMS's and prayers were directed towards Prince and not our lovely Miss India.

But I just hope people elsewhere in the country don't go digging pits and start training their kids to survive underground for 2 days so that they too can get their 15 minutes of fame and all that follows. You never can tell.

***

Hey but guess what - apparently I'm something of a star too! Yep, just last week a newspaper reporter (from a BIG newspaper) wanted to get my reaction on the recent blanket ban on blogs in India. But I like being low-profile, so I had to refuse. And seriously, what would I even say to her? ... I ain't no Amit Verma, y'know.

Reporter: So how has the governments decision to ban blogs affected you?

SwB: Oh I am hugely distressed at not being able to write about matters of earth-shattering importance such as the Israeli attacks on Lebanon and the intricacies of women's underwear!

But thanks to our Paki friends and their Pkblogs we all had backdoor access ... which goes to show they are not such a bunch of villains after all. Come to think of it they do have a certain fondness for the backdoor, don't they?

BFN.

5 comments:

mad angles said...

REally? Chalo Karan Thapar na sahi, koi aur sahi? Who was this? I'm sure I'd know the person.

Aqua said...

hahahaa... no wonder she lost the miss universe title...and i really feel like punching rajdeep sardesai's smug pug face these days!
and LOL about the ompuri potholes comment in goonda's blog :)

teacup said...

hahhaa..yup! you never know with Indian parents!

the whole thing so laughable...I mean the way the media reacted to it...there are hundreds of kids dying of hunger on streets, wonder why no govt awards them with some cash for survivin with out food and shelter for months!! stupid politicians and stupider media!

AB said...

That was not done.

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

oh swb i missed ur expert comments in the newspapers (intricacies of what underwear?? lolz) :)