January 24, 2005

Just read Tan's post on platonic marriages. I am sure that if divorce were as easy and socially acceptable in our country as it is in the West, we'd have millions of couples separating from each other.

I can think of nothing worse than having to spend your life with someone you cannot tolerate; and that's what so many couples do, isn't it? ... they tolerate each other.

But what about those people who can't do it? I, for one, would never be able to just put up with someone; I'd want out.

Time changes everything. I guess a marriage is no exception. So why can't people just accept that and go along with it. By wanting things to remain as they were initially, and by taking steps to somehow accomplish that end, we are only interfering with the natural process through which everything must pass. It's like a person of sixty trying to look twenty again - just not possible.

Tan talks about the lack of physical intimacy that often finds its way into a marriage. But I wonder: is it wrong to expect those things that started it all, to always stay alive? Does the fire always need to be kept burning the same way? Maybe there is something else that should take over; something else that not too many people bother to wait and discover.

Peace, love, and confused answers to confused problems.

No comments: